Whether you’re short on time and unable to get to the gym, or need to change up your workout routine, plyo box exercises are the way to go. The Body-Solid 3-in-1 Wooden Plyo Box can be adjusted to 3 different heights to suit all fitness levels.
This amazing Body Solid product is made of high-quality wood, and it designed to be durable enough to withstand even the most intense workout. It features sanded edges and a slip-free surface to create a safe landing grip while preventing falls and slips so you can avoid injury.
Benefits of Using a Plyo Box
A plyo box is a very versatile piece of equipment. In addition to box jumps, it can be used to get a total-body workout, even if you do not use any other fitness equipment. It is designed to be used in both home and commercial gyms and allows the users to perform exercises like box jumps, dips, step-ups, negative jumps, box push-ups and much more!
Great Plyo Box Exercises
Here are some of our favorite exercises to do on a plyo box. When performing each exercise we recommend doing 8 to 12 reps of each exercise. If you are performing them as a circuit, repeat the entire routine three to four times. If you do each move on its own, try doing three to four sets.
When doing box jumps try to land as softly as possible so you don’t put as much pressure on your joints. It’s important that you learn how to control your descent onto the box by keeping your core engaged. Additionally, you need to ensure you jump far enough forward, aiming to land towards the center of the box.
Burpee Box Jump
This exercise will target your arms, abs, butt, and legs for a great full body workout. To do this exercise:
- Stand behind box and squat, placing your palms shoulder-width apart on floor in front of your feet.
- Jump your feet back into full plank position.
- Quickly jump both of your feet forward near your hands.
- From the squat position, jump onto the box (you can step closer to box if needed).
- Jump down from the box and repeat the box jump workout move from the top.
To do this exercise:
- Stand with your left side facing the box.
- Press your hips back and lower yourself into a quarter squat.
- Explosively jump up to the left and land both of your feet on the box.
- Step down and repeat.
- Alternate side sides with each rep.
Upper-Body Box Exercises
- Sit on the edge of the plyo box placing your hands on the edge next to your hips, with your fingers facing your feet.
- Walk your feet out until your legs are straight. While balancing on your heels, straighten your arms to lift your hips off the box to start.
- Bend your elbows straight back so you can your lower body until your shoulders are aligned with your elbows.
- Press into your palms to straighten your arms.
- Return to starting position and repeat.
Decline Slow Mountain Climber
- Begin in a plank position on your palms with your toes on top of the box, about 6 inches away from the edge.
- Lift your right foot and draw your knee in towards your chest while engaging your core. Hold for 2 counts be sure not to allow your hips or shoulders to move.
- Slowly return your right foot next to the left and repeat on the opposite side.
Decline Plank Around the World
- Begin in a plank position on palms with your toes placed on top of the box, about 6 inches from the edge.
- Walk your hands to the right, using your upper body and allowing feet to pivot while staying planted on the box.
- Travel halfway around the box, then reverse directions to return to starting position.
- Be sure to maintain a straight line from your heels to head the entire time.
- Being in a plank position with your palms shoulder-width apart on the edge of the box. Keep your feet wide, forming a straight line with your body.
- Bend your the elbows to lower yourself into a push-up position.
- Press through the palms pushing your chest off the box and fully extending your arms.
- Lower yourself softly bending elbows to lower chest with control and repeat.
Lower-Body Box Exercises
Feet-Elevated Glute Bridge
- Lie faceup on the floor with your arms by your sides and your heels placed on the top edge of the box. Position your hips so your knees form a 90-degree angle.
- Press into your heels and squeeze your glutes to lift your hips off the floor, forming a straight line with your body.
- Slowly lower your hips and return starting position.
- Stand directly to the left of the plyo box.
- Step your right foot sideways onto the box, while keeping your foot parallel to the edge while pumping your left arm forward simulating in a running motion.
- Press into your right foot and stand on the box, drawing you left knee up towards your chest while switching arms to now drive your right arm forward.
- Slowly bend your right leg to carefully step your left foot back down onto the floor.
- Pause without removing your right foot from the box, then begin the next rep.
- Complete all reps on one side, then switch and repeat on the other side.
Pistol Squat Progression
- Stand directly in front of the plyo box positioning your heels a few inches away.
- Lift your left leg so it is hovering off the floor to start.
- Slowly sit back into your hips and lower yourself into a single-leg squat until your glutes tap the top of the box.
- Press into your right foot to stand and return to the starting position.
- Complete the reps on one side, then switch and repeat on the other side.